Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Truly Blessed

Ever wonder what a typical day is like for a single mom?

Here's just a little sliver of one of the evenings I happened to be taking the girls shoe shopping. I'll slowly reveal it to you in bite-sized pieces. On this particular day, the evening started off like this:

1. Pumping gas (ugh, I HATE this chore), turn radio on for girls to listen to Princess CD. Jump back into the car, put car in gear, realize that it's not actually on, put back in Park. Try to start...nothing. Weird car issue which resulted in having my battery die. Fortunately, kind passerby offers to jump the car. Back on the road in 15.

2. Evening traffic on East bound route...huh?? 2.5 yo growing ever so restless in her carseat. Quieted possible outbreak with a pack of craisins from the bottom of the diaper bag. Arrive to mall much later than anticipated.

3. Arrive at mall to only find that I have 1 (yes, 1) pull up and the pack of wipes are frozen into a solid brick - no joke (they were in the car overnight). Say quick prayer for short trip. Load up stroller, enter mall looking like a small Gypsy caravan.

4. Trip to the mall for shoes (the girls, not me - unfortunately) ;)

5. Already frustrated that girls sizes aren't available. (Gggrrr) Only shoes left that fit my oldest are the Juicy Couture. No thank you, not spending $90 for ballerina flats...THAT she hates.

**asked if she needed a potty break.

6. My two year old finds a pair of rainboots. Yeah! They fit. (but we are shopping for shoes not boots)

7. Total melt down when Hello Kitty boots are removed, followed by immediate purchase of HK boots.

**asked if she needs a potty break.

8. Shoe shopping at Nordstrom took much longer than anticipated then add in 2.5 yo 5 minute meltdown puts us promptly into dinner time.

9. Off to Chickfila for quick meal (no time for Cheesecake Factory or Benihana with looming bedtime)

**asked if she needs a potty break.

10. Score 1 for Mom! Make your own valentine station with glitter galore and the Chickfila cow makes a debut.

11. Take girls to bathroom, place screaming toddler on potty, score! Houston we have a peepee!!

12. Desanitize entire family unit...off to try another shoe department again.

13. Score 2 for Mom! Cute patent leather flats with "sassy buckle" (her words not mine) and happy smiles for "big girl shoes".

14. As promised, play time in crazy play area in mall. (dreading the 2.5 yo departure)

15. 5 minute warning, followed by 2 minute warning, coral girls, shoes on, balloons in hand, turn focus toward new HK boots...no screams, no tears...piece a cake! Score 3 for Mom!

16. My oldest is holding hands with her baby sister as she walks next to the stroller, sharing her new Webkinz cat "Mouser" (name courtesy of Laurien!). Deep sigh...aaaaaahhhh, these are the moments, right?

And it ended like this:

Leaving Nordstrom's as Ray Lamontagne's "You are the Best Thing" is pumped throughout the store...baby girl is softly dozing off in the stroller, my daughter and I are walking hand in hand and she looks up at me and says, "Mommy, this is your favorite song isn't it?" to which I reply, "Yep, don't you like it, too?" She replies, "Yeah, it's my fav too." We groove together in the aisle as we put our coats and hats on, then she looks at me and says, "YOU're the best thing, Momma." To which I replied, "No Sweet Pea, YOU're the best thing."

Totally melts my heart, makes me weepy, and soooooo thankful God gave me 2 positively precious baby girls.

I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment